Dear Joseph Epstein — kiddo — you may want to jump to question 5. For the rest, start at the beginning and see how you do with this edition of the News Biz Quiz.
- Both the House and Senate have passed a defense spending bill which refuses to delete Section 230 of what 1996 legislation (full name or Act acceptable), which protects against lawsuits stemming from user comments on internet sites?
- Time Magazine named tech entrepreneur Eric Yuan its Businessperson of the Year. What company — which got a lot more use in 2020 than ever before — does Yuan run?
- COVID-19 revenue shortfalls have caused the English-language version of the European news site De Correspondent to shutter. In what nation, where it was founded, will the reader-funded news site focus its efforts instead?
- “How America Gave Up” was the headline on which network news site on December 11, detailing the nation’s failure in addressing the coronavirus pandemic — the first time it’s ever devoted its home page to a single topic?
- What newspaper is drawing criticism for a tone-deaf, sexist editorial written by Joseph Epstein in which he attempted to instruct incoming First Lady Jill Biden (whom he referred to as “kiddo”) not to use the term “Dr.” before her name, because her doctorate is education and not in medicine?
- In a continuation of its large-scale layoffs of recent years, what newspaper chain says it’ll ship 485 business jobs (billing, accounting, etc.) to Hyderabad, India in 2021?
Scroll down for answers.
- Communications Decency Act (CDA), a part of the Telecommunications Act of 1996
- The Wall Street Journal
- Gannett (GateHouse)
Stan Jastrzebski (who always refers to subjects of his reporting by their official titles) has competed in trivia competitions in 14 states (and Washington, D.C.), including appearances on “Jeopardy!” and “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?.” He’s won more than 40 state, regional and national journalism awards and has spent more than a dozen years leading NPR member station newsrooms. He lives in Lafayette, IN with his wife and daughter.